Sunday, March 4, 2012

Game Overview for Trilogy Board Game

Alright, so this game is going to be my epic, and will take the longest to really flesh out.  The overall concept is the following.....

I love rpgs.  I used to play alot of pen and paper table top, but the time it takes to play those sorts of game unfortunately does not mesh well with my current schedule.  I then got into board games, of course, and I love them, I truly do.  However, I want a little more from a game.  Games that have scratched the itch for me (the RP itch), have been things like Fantasy Quest, Mageknight, Arkham, and Mansions of Madness, but they just havent given me the same experience, so I started to set out and try and create such a game.

The problem I kept running into is that i always wanted so much in a game that it was getting to big for its own britches.  I know....big for britches is a very terrible cliche, but anyways.  So the games got too large, and then it hit me....why not create three seperate games, with seperate mechanics that could be stand alone games, BUT if you played them with a specific extra deck they then became a triology of games that told an overarching story!

This would be great for those board game nights where you wanna go through 2-3 games with your buddies, and wouldnt mind playing a couple different games (mechanically speaking).

So, to give a sneak peak at the current concept thematically this is the idea in a nutshell

1. Episode 1 will be a co-op defend a city game. It will be the most RP of the games with the players working together to defend a city from impending doom.  They will have to deal with the military aspects of defending the walls, the food/financial aspects of a seiged city from the docks, the political drama from the nobles, and also having to complete their own personal story quests throughout.

2. Episode 2 is picking up the pieces of the nation/kingdom.  The players are going to be playing a game that involves much more euro style with unit placements and resource management in order to grow economical, political, military wealth as they also are building up the city and pushing their own political initiatives.  The characters were shaped by their own personal quests from the first game (and possible have favors they own or vegence they need to enact on specific players).  The game will play in a fasion where temporary alliances are made constantly depending on where you place your pieces on the board from turn to turn.  More info later....

3 Episode 3 is going to be a military conquest game (like a risk), but with a dice/deck building mechanic (like a Quarriors).  The game will play out much differently however than the two, but that is the best way to describe it as of now.  It is the most finished of the three games, and is the final chapter for these characters as they have risen in power and now form their alliances, or go it solo in order to try and finally claim their fame and fortune.

Alright everyone, let me know what you think, and I'll post more when i get a chance

2 comments:

  1. this is a really interesting concept...I have a similar problem in that my board game has outgrown the table, but I kinda planned it that way. I think there has to be a way of expanding the players experience by offering as much as possible but still keeping all the checks and balances in place. I would love to discuss things with you.

    curious: why did you not post this on BGG?

    is it so that you can just link this blog to all sorts of sites or was there a reason you didnt want to discuss it there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, i really appreciate the prospect of discussing this topic. I would love to as well.

      The BGG thing was pretty much I just thought it would be easier for me to get all of my ideas down for all these different games on one site, and I had a blog that I was reading previously about a game designer. Do you think it would be better for me to just put all these ideas straight on BGG?

      Delete